Strawberry and Banana Oatmeal Casserole
Breakfast is such a important meal, but I don’t always have the most time in the mornings and I was getting a bit sick of eating the same thing every day so after a bit of research into recipes with oats and a bit of experimenting I finally ended up with this recipe. It’s great because it tastes a bit cakey and I can cook a batch on Sunday and it will see me through most of the week and I can stick a portion in the microwave for 40 second and have a nice warm breakfast!
Just a quick note, in this recipe I use agave nectar, you can substitute this with honey but I’ve used agave because it’s slightly sweeter and it’s runnier which makes it easier to mix with the milk and eggs. I got mine from Sainsbury’s!
1 cup skimmed milk (or whatever milk you prefer)
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp agave nectar
1 cup of oats
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup of walnut pieces
2 ripe bananas chopped into slices
1/2 cup strawberries chopped in half
1/8 cup of chocolate chips (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180
2. Layer a ceramic cooking dish with the bananas, cinnamon, half the strawberries and a tbsp of agave nectar. Cover with silver foil and put in the over for 15 minutes.
3. Whilst the bananas bake, in a bowl combine the oats, walnuts and baking powder.
4. In a separate bowl whisk the milk, egg, vanilla extract and 2 tbsp of agave nectar.
5. Remove the bananas and strawberries from the over and sprinkle the oat mixture on top as evenly as you can then pour the milk mixture over the top, once again trying to get a nice even layer.
6. Sprinkle the remaining walnuts, strawberries and the chocolate chips evening over the top.
7. Put back in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.
216 calories | Carbs: 29g | Fat: 5g | Protein: 5g | 5 Weight Watcher Pro Points